This evening I was playing with bubbles
Not the ones in the bathtub, rather some larger ones which have to be inflated to get to the size I wanted.
I started this exercise by finding a shallow black dish to hold some soap. The cap from the camera end of a lens was put into service.
Then I made a soap solution – 3 parts water – 1 part dish soap. Need to get some glycerin if I do this again. It will increase the viscosity so that the bubbles last longer.
I used a straw to create and inflate the bubbles.
Next, find a good light source.
This was what happens when you use a shoot through umbrella. The ribs from my umbrella are being reflected by the bubble.
Cool, but not the effect I was looking for.
The lesson here is that the light has to be big and have a consistent texture. A large light box would work well.
Compound patterns caused by the smaller bubbles aroung the bottom of the larger one.
The imperfections in the big bubble look like tadpoles swimming across a rainbow.
All of these shots were taken with a 100mm Macro Lens.